The Restaurant Meson de la Cava opened its doors in 1967, since that time it has been one of Santo Domingo's most popular restaurants for both Dominicans and Tourists from all over the world. It is situated in a natural lime stone cave, created millions of year ago by the waves action when the coast line hugged this cliff. The numerous caves along the cliff sheltered many different types of people through its long history. Remains of the native Taino Indians have been discovered here. Along with pirates and buccaneers who used these caves as a hideout in preparation for their frequent assaults on the city of Santo Domingo. In more recent years freedom fighters called "gavilleros" used the caves as a sanctuary from occupation forces in 1930. The latest group to use these caves was in the Dominican Revolution of 1965, the soldiers of the OEA (Organization of America States). Here they stored provisions for their troops. We are proud to be located on such an interesting and historically significant site. For many years we have kept privately the findings of utensils, arms, etc. found while the construction of the site, just recently we have display in the restaurant many of these to the public.