A housewife in her fifties discovers her true self when she has to accept her husband's second wife into her home.
From Senegal comes a brave, controversial film set in the secret world of multiple spouse households. KA's film homes in on one story as Madeleine and her husband's new, young second wife develop a relationship far beyond conventional norms. The intimacy has the potential to blow apart a stable domestic situation, but it also has the potential to rewrite the story of both women's lives. A bold and exquisitely tender film, beautifully acted and sensitively filmed against the backdrop of colourful, beguiling Dakar.
Senegal, 2013, Short, Drama, 15mins
Directed by Marie Kâ (Dakar)
This short is part of The African Metropolis Short Film Project, an initiative of the Goethe-Institut South Africa and South African executive producer Steven Markovitz, with support from Guaranty Trust Bank and the Hubert Bals Fund of International Film Festival Rotterdam.
The short films are set in Lagos (Director: Folasakin Iwajomo), Abidjan (Philippe Lacôte), Kinshasa (Carole Maloba), Dakar (Marie KA), Johannesburg (Vincent Moloi), Cairo (Ahmed Ghoneimy) and Nairobi (Jim Chuchu).
2013 | 34th DIFF, Durban
* Selection - Section: Short Fiction
* World Premiere
* Screening, followed by Q&A: 20 JULY - 17:00 - MUSGRAVE B
* Panel discussion: 21 July - 09H00 - South Deck Room, 11th floor, Blue Waters Hotel
* Screening, followed by Q&A: 21 JULY - 16:00 - BLUE Waters Hotel
* Sundowner: 21 JULY - 18:00 - Tsogo Sun Elangeni Hotel, Pooldeck
* Screening, followed by Q&A: 23 JULY - 16:00 - Ohlange School Hall, Inanda