PPEN American Center seeks a Fellow for a short-term position working with PEN Haiti in Port-au-Prince. The Fellow will support the President and Board of PEN Haiti in reviewing and implementing strategic priorities in PEN's work to promote literature and defend free expression, potentially including fundraising, outreach, advocacy, public programming, and organizational development.
Background: PEN American Center is the largest of the 144 PEN Centers that together compose PEN International, a leading international literary and free expression organization. At PEN America, the Center Development Program collaborates with PEN Centers worldwide to strengthen their work and the global network.
PEN Haiti, founded in 2008, suffered the loss of its first President in the 2010 earthquake. It has emerged from that tragedy with new leadership and founded a House of Writers that offers a gathering point for emerging and established contributors to Haiti's literary traditions as well as a focal point for monitoring of free expression challenges. With support and mentoring from PEN America, PEN Haiti has sought to develop organizationally and expand its membership and impact.
Position Description: PEN America has established a Center Development Fellowship to support PEN Haiti. The Fellow will work full-time for three to four months in Port-au-Prince, assisting the PEN Haiti President, Board and small part-time staff. The Fellow will work closely with PEN Haiti to identify key areas in which to offer high-impact assistance. The Fellow also will maintain day-to-day contact with PEN America's Center Development Program Director throughout. Responsibilities may include:
· Supporting organizational systems such as governance, financial management, or membership
· Engaging with prospective supporters, and developing proposals for funding
· Supporting activities in free expression advocacy, dialogue and debate, youth programming, celebration of literature, and other areas
· Producing communications and outreach materials, including via social media
· Conducting research and drafting reports
The position offers the Fellow an excellent opportunity for field experience in civil society strengthening and human rights advocacy. A modest stipend is offered, along with roundtrip airfare. Applicants are encouraged to seek additional funding to supplement or extend the Fellowship, although this is not required. The Fellowship is anticipated to begin in Summer or Fall 2015.
· Previous practical experience in civil society organizational strengthening, preferably in connection with human rights advocacy
· Master's Degree in International Development or related field preferred
· Demonstrated ability to work pro-actively and collaboratively, and without supervision
· Demonstrated self-sufficiency in new settings and positions, especially in developing countries
· Fluency (oral and written) in French and English essential
To apply: Please send your CV and a one-page cover letter describing how your experience applies to this position to Dru Menaker, Director of International Development and Partnerships, at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The deadline to apply is July 31, 2015. No phone calls.
- See more at: http://www.pen.org/blog/center-development-fellowship-pen-haiti#sthash.Nd2nD69b.dpuf