The Bloggers Association of Kenya (BAKE) has set up a citizen journalism website called Kenya Monitor and is looking for a Nairobi County Editor.
Kenya Monitor's sole mandate is to report on important stories from all the counties in Kenya through use of bloggers and other online content creators.
It has become quite evident that that mainstream media does not necessarily cover all stories especially those of human interest. The growth of the number of internet users in Kenya has also spurred the rise of citizen journalist who are able to capture events as they happen through their mobile phones. Due to the lengthy process of sending images, video footage or stories to media houses, most Kenyans never get to share their witness accounts.
Kenya Monitor is a platform for Kenyans to tell their own unfiltered stories and at the same time crowd-source interesting stories as observed by the citizens. The main focus is on stories that don't get much coverage in the main stream media. We have identified several broad thematic areas such as development, governance, health, culture, arts, culture, education, environment, philanthropy among others which will be the main focus point for the platform.
In order to build capacity and get content, BAKE is seeking an experienced and passionate editor , based in Nairobi County, who believes in the power of the internet in promotion on Free Speech online as well as in the ever growing important role of Citizen Journalists.
The topics to be focused on from the counties will be:
viii. Human Rights
– Be a blogger and/or have a clear understanding of Blogging, Social Media and Citizen Journalism
– Have a passion for alternative media and the role of blogs & Social media play as alternative news sources
– Demonstrate a clear understanding and passion for the chosen county to edit on.
– 1 year experience in editing for an online or print publication will be an added advantage
– Multi-lingual (knowledge and competence in editing in English & Kiswahili)
– Possess Leadership & management skills required to manage contributors
– Have an active presence on Social Media
– Demonstrate knowledge of current affairs in county and topics of specialization
– Demonstrate a clear knowledge of the existing bloggers and online content creators in your field and/or region of expertise.
– Identify and recruit new contributors who exhibit passion and knowledge of the topic/region through their blogs and/or online conversations.
– Manage and co-ordinate contributors for a given topic and region
– Collection of articles according to set deadlines
– Meet the weekly and monthly articles publication threshold
– Fact check and verification for news stories
– Editing all articles prior to publishing
– Publication of all articles to the Kenya Monitor website
– Follow leads to stories and news in the given topic or region and assign contributors for coverage in a timely manner.
– Create additional content to meet the monthly threshold of at least 25 posts per month
– Curate posts based on opinions and/or articles written by various bloggers on the topics featured on Kenya Monitor
– Prepare weekly progress reports
– Attend all monthly meetings
– Report to the Kenya Monitor Managing Editor and Project Lead.
If interested, send the following information;- Your resume complete with links to your twitter, Facebook and Linkedin handles as well as links to previously published articles online to: