The Gabonese Institute of Image and Sound (IGIS) was created in February 2010. It is the new name of the former Gabon National Center of Cinema (CENACI), itself established in 1975.
The Gabonese Institute of Image and Sound's mission is to develop Gabonese film and audiovisual production, in order to meet one of the major challenges of today which is the protection and promotion of its cultural identity in a globalized world.
The first General manager of IGIS is Imunga IVANGA (author-director). Henri Joseph KOUMBA-BIDIDI (author-director) succeeded him, followed by Ms. Denise Agnossi (acting, from 2017), then Serge ABESSOLO (from 2022).
General Managers since the creation in 1975:
- Mr Philippe MORY (1975 to 1985), CENACI
- Mr Simon AUGÉ (1985 to 1987), CENACI
- Mr Charles MENSAH (1987 to 2009), CENACI
- Mr Léon Imunga IVANGA (2009 to 2014), IGIS
- Mr. Henri-Joseph KOUMBA-BIDIDI (2014 to 2017), IGIS
- Ms. Denise AGNOSSI (2017 to 2021, acting), IGIS
- Mr Serge ABESSOLO (Since 7 January 2022), IGIS.