PIMA's purpose and mission is to:
* Develop communication links that bring together professionals and institutions in support of Pacific Islands Heritage management, including but not limited to publishing a regular newsletter and maintaining a website;
* Enhance human resources through education and training;
* Promote awareness of the local, regional and national cultural institutions in the Pacific about the safeguarding and preservation of Oceania's heritage and heritage places;
* Disseminate cultural heritage information amongst the local communities of the Pacific Islands region;
* Develop and promote a code of ethics and standards in Pacific Islands heritage management;
* Advise and work with governments and other agencies in matters of heritage management and policy;
* Facilitate the protection and restitution of tangible and intangible cultural property.