Joseph Bertiers was born the 9th April 1963 in Nairobi. He is currently based in Dagoretti.
He started painting local pubs, butchery and beauty palour at the teenage age, this led to the realization of pursuing of a career in arts, Joseph currently works outside Nairobi, his work is mainly characterized with sharp humor and his sculptures that are life sized and are basically all satirical and he also does paintings.
Josephs work is majorly concerned with social, political and economic issues in Kenya and abroad. This is because with this he comes up with issues and absurdities of everyday Kenyan and abroad life into colorful and complex visual feasts that one can study for hours just to get all the jokes, juxtapositions of their daily lives happenings.
Joseph has been selected to participate in Dak'Art. In 2011, he had a solo show at Fred Gallery, with his work travelling, in turn, to the 2011 Basel Art Fair and the 2012 Johannesburg Art Fair. He has been featured in the financial times and his work major collection has been featured in Europe and USA.Joseph is currently the Executive Chairman of Discovered artistic Talent Kenya.
- 1980-1980 Y.M.C.A Crafts Training Centre For Commercial Arts Work Experience
- 1985-1987 Designer, Chibuku Breweries Exhibitions
- 1992'View of the World' solo exhibition, Goethe-Institut
- 2004 Group exhibition with Dammar Arts group, Goethe-Institut
- 2004 DAAD, Nairobi
- 2005'New paintings', RaMoMa Gallery
- 2006 Ostafrika Kunst, Heidelberg, Germany
- 2006 "URAIYA" Civic education open forum exhibition at Kenyatta International Conference Centre - HIV/AIDS awareness campaign exhibitions Awards
- 2006 2nd Prize "Health and Human Rights in Kenya" competition for Art-Calendar by GTZ and Goethe-Institut
- 2006'Au Sud du Sud', Prize at the 7th Dak'Art Dakar Contemporary African Art Biennale Publications
- 1997/8 Small Towns calendars, GTZ Private Collections USA, Germany, Netherlands