The 65th Venice International Film Festival, organised by the Venice Biennale, will take place at Venice Lido from August 27th to September 6th 2008. The aim of the Festival is to encourage the awareness and the promotion of all the various aspects of international cinema as art, entertainment and industry, in a spirit of freedom and tolerance.
Marco Müller will be the director of this edition, continuing the work he began in 2004.
The line-up of the 65th Venice Film Festival includes the following sections:
· Venezia 65 : an international competition of feature films, presented as world premieres and running for the Golden Lion
· Out of Competition : important works of the year, and in particular those by directors already established in past editions of the Festival
· Orizzonti : a section aiming to provide an overview of new trends in cinema
· Corto Cortissimo : an international competition of short films (not exceeding 30 minutes)
· These Phantoms: Italian Cinema Rediscovered (1946-1975) : a new series of retrospective screenings and restorations
The Festival will be opened on the evening of Wednesday 27th August by the world premiere screening of Burn After Reading by Joel and Ethan Coen.