Call for applications for the selection of visual artists for the 3rd edition of the International Residency of Artists "Gamesu" in Agoué (RIAG-AGOUE 2022) in the Republic of Benin.
15 February to 30 April 2023 at 00h GMT
The project International Residency of Artists''Gamesu'' in Agoué (RIAG Agoué) aims to promote culture through the arts, food, rhythms, songs and dances. It is also a springboard to reveal Agoué, the town where the residency takes place annually, to the world through its cultural, artistic and tourist wealth and potential.
This residency will therefore enable all these tangible and especially intangible heritages to be highlighted.
It is a unique idea and a first in the area. The RIAG - Agoué will culminate after 14 days of artistic creation with the opening and exhibition of the works of art produced, traditional song and dance performances and the tasting of local dishes that are disappearing.
The purpose of the residency is to retrace the history of Agoué through the artworks to be exhibited and tourism to attract more visitors.
Finally, RIAG - Agoué will participate in the restoration of certain disappearing cultural values.
The period chosen is from 9 to 30 September 2023
The duration of the 2023 edition whose theme is:''Inheritance'' is therefore 21 days.
RIAG Agoué will be opened by a creative workshop for artists who will produce works over a period of 14 days in relation to the theme.
Then there will be a vernissage followed by the exhibition of the works.
During the last week, the performances of songs, rhythms and dances will be organised as well as the tasting stands of local dishes.
Objectives of the RIAG-Agoué residency project
Through this residency project, Cultur'Action aims to contribute to the cultural development of Agoué by supporting artistic creation, enhancing its resources and skills and broadening the cultural offer by promoting encounters between artists and the public.
- To provide around twenty artists with the technical, logistical and financial means necessary to research and create works of art,
- To encourage the dissemination, promotion and visibility of the artistic work carried out during the residency,
- To promote a framework for meetings, exchanges and sharing of experiences between artists from different backgrounds,
- To feed the local economic activity through the permanent presence of the artists (accommodation, catering, transport, etc. in Agoué and its surroundings),
- To make artists discover the assets and tourist attractions of Agoué.
- Visual artists
- Artists from all African countries living in Africa or elsewhere can apply.
- Non-African visual artists may also apply.
- Be able to take care of your international transport,
- Be able to pay for health insurance
- Proof of profession as a visual artist
- Provide a letter of motivation
- Provide a portfolio
- Be willing to sign a commitment of good conduct
- Be prepared to sign the participation agreement once selected
- Have their own working tools and, if possible, personal materials deemed useful.
In addition to these conditions, non-African artists must :
- Be able to pay for their own catering (13 euros/day/artist)
- Be able to pay for their accommodation (15 euros/day/artist).
The NGO Cultur'Action is responsible for :
- Providing food for the participants over the 21 days,
- Provide accommodation for the participants over the 21 days. However, participants who wish to stay alone in their room will have to pay the related costs. The organisation will find a room of his/her liking, but this will be entirely at the artist's expense.
- To have a pharmaceutical box for first aid,
- Provide the necessary working materials,
- Provide the necessary working materials, - Provide the costs of tourist visits
- Provide internal transport
N.B.: To the extent that funds are available, Cultur'Action COULD provide a lump sum to all participants as a per diem (this is not an obligation for Cultur'Action)
Application opening date: 15 February 2023 00h GMT
Application deadline: 30 April 2023 at 00:00 GMT
Date of publication of the selected participants: 30 May 2023
Date of interview with selected artists: 30 June 2022
Click here to apply