ZIFF 2017 will take place from 8th -16th July, 201, with the theme FINDING JOY. As the festival prepares to reach a major milestone, and with a new Festival Director in place, ZIFF is truly rising.
African cinema continues to rise to new heights and ZIFF continues to hold its place as one of the most important film festivals on the continent. Newly appointed Festival Director Fabrizio Colombo explains further,
"ZIFF has been the foundation of the careers of many filmmakers, artist and dreamers. The island of Zanzibar is a crossroads where arts, visions and stories of hope for the future meet. This small festival with courage has challenged culture, politics, society, religions with multiple themes but above all with CINEMA. And this always with one idea in mind … we all can make a better world. CINEMA, the seventh art, is still making everyone capable to see and take part in the world journey today, to denounce evil and injustice to and human person, to empower audiences from all over the world to the conviction that we can change. In a world of terror and fear and discouragement ZIFF 2017 dare to boost joy and hope. FINDING JOY / KUSIKIA FURAHA is the theme of this special 20th edition of ZIFF. We do hope that the selection of this year will contribute to share happiness and hope as the goal for every human being. ZIFF once again will be the place where we celebrate Cinema and Art, and for those considered "left overs of society, ZIFF will be their voice and eyes…. Together we will find joy and hope for all."
With this theme in mind, ZIFF is excited to officially open submissions for films for entry into competition for 2017. All submission must be done through ZIFF platform on the website www.festhome.com
(link is can be found on the website of the festival, www.ziff.ort.tz)
There have been several changes to the categories and awards for 2017
ZIFF 2017 will award film in the following categories:
- AFRICAN CINEMA
(Continent and Diaspora)
- DHOW COUNTRIES
(Countries of the Indian Ocean Rim, the Arab Peninsular and Indian Ocean Islands, including Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan)
(from all over the world with particular attention to African issues and realities)
- EAST AFRICAN FILM
- EAST AFRICAN MUSIC VIDEO
ZIFF competition categories include: Feature Fiction, Documentary, Short/Animation, Music Video
In acknowledgement of the role that films play in contemporary society, festivals bestow film awards as a measure of the value that the industry accords festivals, and offers filmmakers a tribute to their creativity, innovation and status. The official prize list of ZIFF is as follows:
OFFICIAL ZIFF AWARDS (THE DHOWS Gold and Silver)
- Best Feature film
- Best Short film
- Best Documentary
- Best Feature from Dhow Countries
- Best Short from Dhow Countries
- Best Film from International
- Best Animation
- Best East African Film
- Chairperson's or Bibi Kidude Award (from ZIFF Board)
- ZIFF Lifetime Achievement Award. (From ZIFF Board)
- Sembene Ousmane Prize: GIZ and ZIFF will award the SEMBENE OUSMANE PRIZE FOR DEVELOPMENT FILMSfor the 3 best short films made by an African or an African in the Diaspora.
- Bongo Movies Awards: Popular culture films in Kiswahili
- Emerson of Zanzibar Prize Films: Films of all genres about Zanzibar, made by or made in Zanzibar.
- SIGNIS Awards (Best African Film and Best East African Talent Award) The SIGNIS Jury will present its Award to a film that is deemed to exemplify universal and spiritual values that enhance human dignity, justice and tolerance through the art of cinematic expression.
- EAFF Award (European African Film Festival)
- BEST DOCUMENTARY by an AFRICAN female Filmmaker
For all submission and related criteria and information please visit the ZIFF section on www.festhome.com/festivales/info_extendida/893/ or www.ziff.or.tz. Further updates on the process can also be found on https://www.facebook.com/ZanzibarInternationalFilmFestival.
Mail submissions and accompanying materials (by Tanzanian filmmakers) can be sent to:
Ngome Kongwe (Note: this is the physical address)
P.O. BOX 3032, ZANZIBAR, TANZANIA
Tél: (255) 773 411 499
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com